The Special Artist Workshop is intended to provide high quality, meaningful learning opportunities to students with special needs and their families, highlighting the value of arts learning and facilitating participation in the Reflections Special Artist Division. A teaching artist with experience working with students with disabilities will partner with a special education teacher and a PTA leader to lead a workshop designed around exploring the 2013-2014 Reflections theme, “Believe, Dream, Inspire.”
Each workshop should strive to meet the following objectives:
- Students have a meaningful arts learning experience
- Students engage in a project that can be submitted to Reflections 2013-2014
- Families take an active role in their child’s learning
- Families feel empowered to support their child’s participation in the arts
- Students and families have fun participating in the arts!
Local leaders hosting the Special Artist Workshops will have support from their State PTA and the National PTA. As the local leader, you are responsible for the following tasks:
- Promoting Special Artist Workshops to students with disabilities and their families
- Collaborating with Teaching Artist and Special Education Teacher to prepare activities
- Preparing art supplies and all other associate materials (including facilities, snacks, Family Resource Folders, etc.)
- Returning the Local Leader Feedback form and copies of the Family Feedback forms and photo release forms to WSPTA
The first 10 PTAs to respond with the intent to host a Special Artist Workshop to firstname.lastname@example.org will receive these $250 grants. The WSPTA will provide handbook and resources to locate a teaching artist for your workshop. Support is available from the National PTA and the WSPTA.
For more information on this grant opportunity, email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.