Membership growth starts with a desire to want to gain more members. We then want to keep them in our association by delivering a product that satisfies their wants and needs. It does not happen overnight but instead takes a dedicated group who believe that PTA is the voice for children and want to increase membership.
Where to start?
Where to start?
- Do you know your closing numbers last year of your PTA? Look at the roster that was printed off at the close of last year and that will be your base line.
- Do you want a percentage increase?
- Do you want to ensure that a percentage of your students are covered by a PTA member?
- Look to make a goal for at least the first half of the year publish, share and shout it from the roof tops that you want more members so we have a louder voice for all kids.
How to start?
- Gather your resources ~ Find a team who will be the face of your growth plan. They are your cheerleaders and will be able to speak from the heart and explain why PTA is important in your school, council, state and nation! Think about all the reasons that people don’t join and have an answer J
- Have a fun theme for your membership drive. Sports, nature, music any good hook that you can build a goal, a visual and excite people about PTA.
- Know the benefits both monetarily, socially and emotionally of being a PTA supporter.
- Be visible at all events either at school put on by your PTA or in the community.
- Split Up ~ Do not have your membership form and volunteer form on the same sheet of paper it makes admin difficult and reinforces the link that volunteering is part of membership.
- Show Up ~ Be there for every event ~ forms in hand, a smile on your face and a reason to join PTA.
- Get Up ~ Don't sit behind a table ~ be mobile and approachable.
- Keep Up ~ Keep up the conversation with why they should join PTA don't give up after one "no" they don't know all the great things you are doing for the school, all kids and the community.
Review and evaluate
- Look at and review your goal how are you doing celebrate your successes and discuss where you are having difficulties.
- Keep reporting to your membership on the progress towards your goal.
- Have they brought a friend to join PTA?
- Do they realize the great work PTA is doing in their school for all kids?
- A successful PTA will have 3-5 membership campaigns in a year to increase membership and so make it a year round committee.
- Complete the membership circle ~ Enter your members co-ordinate with treasurer to make timely payments as the card will be sent the day you enter the person as a member
- Washington State PTA membership website http://www.wastatepta.org/member/index.html
- Washington State Membership Director and Region
- Region Membership Chair
- Council Membership Chair
Local PTAs who have had successes and could work as a group to raise membership in the community!
Get on the membership listserv
For more information on membership and weekly “Membership Monday” posts, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and request to be added to the membership listserv. Also, be sure your local unit and council membership chairs have been identified in the PTA membership database, so they will receive all the information they need to be successful in their leadership positions.