Friday, July 15, 2011

What to do When an Elected Officer Resigns

We elected officers last spring, but now one has had to resign because of a job transfer. Can the Executive Committee appoint a replacement?

Article 5, Section 6 (e) of the Uniform Bylaws covers this: If a vacancy occurs in an office, the executive committee may fill the vacancy until the next general membership meeting at which time nominations shall be made from the floor with the consent of the nominee. A quorum being present, a majority of all votes cast is necessary to elect. . . .  

So to answer your question, the Executive Committee makes an interim appointment to fill the vacancy, and then there is an election—including the nominations from the floor—at your PTA’s next general membership meeting.